Email: bernstei at gmail
Positions: I am assistant professor at the department of computer science in Rutgers University (New Brunswick). Before then I was a PostDoc at TU Berlin, where I was part of the group Combinatorial Algorithms and Graph Optimization (COGA), led by Martin Skutella. I received my Ph.D. from Columbia University (2010-2016), with Cliff Stein as my advisor. I received my undergraduate degree in mathematics from MIT in 2009.
Interests: My research interests are in the design and analysis of algorithms. Specific topics include sublinear algorithms for processing large inputs (e.g. streaming, parallel), dynamic graph algorithms, online algorithms, distributed algorithms, fault-tolerant algorithms, and approximation algorithms.
Selected Conference Publications: (see publications tab for the full list):
- Near-Optimal Decremental SSSP in Dense Weighted Digraphs. (With Maximillian Probst Gutenberg and Christian Wulff-Nilsen). FOCS 2020. [arxiv]
- Deterministic Decremental Reachability, SCC, and Shortest Paths via Directed Expanders and Congestion Balancing. (With Maximillian Probst Gutenberg and Thatchaphol Saranurak). FOCS 2020.
- Improved Bounds for Distributed Load Balancing. (With Sepehr Assadi and Zachary Langely). DISC 2020.
- Best Paper Award at DISC 2020
- Decremental Strongly-Connected Components and Single-Source Reachability in Near-Linear Time. (With Christian Wulff-Nilsen and Maximilian Probst). STOC 2019. [arxiv]
- Distributed Exact Weighted All-Pairs Shortest Paths in Near-Linear Time. (With Danupon Nanongkai).STOC 2019. [arxiv]
- Coresets Meet EDCS: Algorithms for Matching and Vertex Cover on Massive Graphs. (With Sepehr Assadi, MohammadHossein Bateni, Vahab Mirrokni, Cliff Stein). SODA 2019 [arxiv]
- Online bipartite matching with amortized O(log^2 n) replacements. (With Jacob Holm and Eva Rotenberg)
Accepted to Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA) 2018. [arxiv]
Best Paper Award at SODA 2018
- Deterministic decremental single source shortest paths: beyond the o(mn) bound. (With Shiri Chechik)
Symposium on Theorem of Computing (STOC) 2016. [pdf]
- Fully Dynamic Matching in Bipartite Graphs. (With Cliff Stein)
International Colloquium on Automata, Languages, and Programming (ICALP) 2015.
Best Paper Award at ICALP 2015 (track A) [arxiv]
- Maintaining shortest paths under deletions in weighted directed graphs.
Symposium on Theorem of Computing (STOC) 2013. Full Version in SICOMP special issue for STOC 2013. [pdf]
Best Student Paper Award at STOC 2013
- Near linear time (1 + ε)-approximation for restricted shortest paths in undirected graphs.
Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA) 2012. [pdf]
Best Student Paper Award at SODA 2012
- A Nearly Optimal Algorithm for Approximating Replacement Paths and k Shortest Simple Paths in General Graphs.
Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA) 2010. [pdf]
Best Student Paper Award at SODA 2010